Pages

Friday, October 26, 2012

Shibui

Beautiful   Quiet   Shibui   Wonderful   Calm   Whisper   
Thought provoking   Lovely   
Imaginative creativity   Delightful   Delicate   Peaceful

These words were used to describe my work and how it made those who commented feel while viewing it at the CWOS Alternative Space Weekend. I am so honored, as this is my goal with my art. It is nature that calms,soothes and inspires me and I try to capture that in my art. The knowledge that it came across to some, is humbling and a blessing.

I had not heard the word "shibui' used before so I looked it up. According to an article on Wikipedia, it is a Japanese word which refers "to a particular aesthetic of simple, subtle, and unobtrusive beauty." 
"The seven elements of shibusa (shibui) are simplicity, implicity, modesty, silence, naturalness, everydayness, and imperfection." 

"The person of shibusa modestly exalts excellence via a thoroughness of taking time to learn, watch, read, understand, develop, think, and merges into understatement and silence concerning oneself. Shibusa's sanctuary of silence, non-dualism - the resolution of opposites, is intuition coupled with beauty and faith as foundations for phases of truth revealing the worship and reverence for life." 

I identify with the Japanese terms wabi and sabi and now can add shibui to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always appreciated. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...