Pages

Monday, October 8, 2012

Turning One of A Kind into a Printable Plate

Monarda Trace Monotype
Making a trace monotype creates a lovely effect and is somewhat time consuming to do, as in this example of a drawing of Monarda. Part of a project I worked on last summer (see link here), this piece shown was created as follows. I made a sketch of red monarda that grows in my front garden. I rolled red ink onto a plexiglass palette, placed a piece of my handmade gampi paper on top, put a piece of blank copy paper on top of that, then the drawing. I traced over the drawing which put pressure onto the paper below which made contact with the ink.

Not only does this yield a color copy of the drawing on the paper of my choice, it provides a softer version of the line drawing. The light, unintentional pressure of my hand as it rested on the sheet as well as the texture of the gampi paper adds something that the original drawing lacks.

I am taking a class exploring Pronto Plate printmaking. I am working with both Pronto Plates and Z Acryl D2P Ployester Plates.  I will have this monotype copied onto the plate in black and white and will have it as a permanent plate to use again and again.

The only thing I don't like about lithography - stone, paper or polyester plate - is that oil based inks are required. I do not like to use mineral spirits for clean up, so use vegetable oil but this process is time consuming. When I create monotypes, monoprints, lino cuts, gelatin prints, etc., I am able to use water mixable inks and paints that clean up with soap and water in very little time. If you know of a litho process in which water soluble inks or paints may be used, please share that information with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always appreciated. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...