Pages

Friday, February 22, 2013

Fifty Two

I turned 52 years old on February 20th. Honestly, I don't feel that old! Some will tell me that it isn't old at all. Others will agree that yes, I am getting old! I have thoughts about my age, my looks and my future that I need to explore in more depth. It isn't the reason for this post, but may appear in a future one or two.

I realized that the number 52 is how many weeks there are in a year. Thinking this may be a good way to celebrate my personal new year - create something specific once a week for a year. Hmmm, but what? I have already challenged myself to create a mixed media painting once a month beginning last month and continuing until August 2014. See Shakespeare's Flowers post. Btw, I am behind for the flower of February! I have also recently committed to writing a monthly horticulturally related blog column which will be a year in duration. More info coming on that in a few weeks.

So what can I create that is achievable for a once week time frame and that won't take time away from my regular art-making? What do I wish to accomplish? Well, personal goals are:

-write more creatively, possibly developing short stories
-take better photos. How do I do this - experiment with my camera more? or learn how to use Photoshop or some other photo editing software? Both?
- I want to get comfortable at sewing and using a sewing machine. I have two vintage models that both work, so that isn't an issue.
- I love embroidery and did some a very long time ago. I would love to get back to that!

I haven't gotten into the routine of drawing, so I could set a goal of a making a drawing a week.
I don't blog as often as I'd like, so I could make it a goal to write a post each week.

What do you think? Which direction should I take?

Have you given yourself a once-a-week challenge for a year? What was that like? I'd love to hear about it.

3 comments:

  1. I think this is an amazing idea!! Wish I had thought of it for when I turned 60. I look forward to following this project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Trece! I'll bet you can find a reason to start your own 52 week challenge. But I guess you don't really need a reason, just an idea. I'd like to know what you decide on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Trece. I took a look at your Blogger profile and saw that you follow many art and visual journals related blogs. If you are interested, an new once-a-month year long art challenge will begin in March. It will involve art journaling, sewing, cooking and other challenges. You can find out more about it here: http://12monthsinview.blogspot.com/2013/02/a-12-month-challenge.html
    It would be great to have you along!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always appreciated. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...