Pages

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Disappointments and Opportunities

At the end of last year, I made a list of goals and objectives for what I wanted to accomplish and participate in this year. I have been working each day to bring these to fruition. A series of cancellations has reminded me that while I may do my best, I am not in control of the calendar, the weather or the decisions of others.

Last month a group of artist friends and I had a day of conversation, food and creativity planned. One by one participants canceled. Then snow was forecasted for that day so I canceled as well. Okay, no problem, you can't really count on plans during the winter months. We will get together another time.

This past Tuesday evening at the Stratford Arts Guild meeting the decision was made to postpone the Artists and Artisans on the Green event, originally scheduled for April, to July. I understand their decision, but I was really disappointed. I was planning to participate in this event. I would have been my first show of the year. I have been creating new work for it. Okay, yes, it is good to have the inventory ready and this also provides time to make more paper to have on hand. (I make paper outdoors during the warm months.)  Losing the opportunity to make money earlier in the year is tough. I know that I am not guaranteed sales just for participating in a show, but the hope and potential are there.

Next is the news of a historic blizzard coming our way for the weekend. My husband and I were planning to attend a backyard birding workshop on Saturday morning at the CT Audubon Center in Fairfield. That will more than likely be canceled. Hopefully it will be rescheduled for another time. It would have been fun and informative, but no big deal to miss it.

Yesterday I got news that the Botanical Illustration course I signed up to take with the CT Natural Science Illustrators had been canceled due to low enrollment. The class was to begin tomorrow afternoon. I am really saddened by this; I was really looking forward to it. It was to be an eight week course. Attending in February and March would have been a good time as the gardens would still be dormant, thus not yet needing my attention. More importantly, I would have had the rendering skills established by the time Spring arrived. I was looking forward to spending time in the garden putting these newly acquired skills to practice! I have told myself before that I should schedule time to draw on a regular basis. I have not been disciplined enough to accomplish this. Which was another reason for signing up for this class - an imposed schedule of drawing time, not just during class, but throughout the week to complete homework assignments. I must commit the time now to do this on my own.

The old saying goes, "when one door closes, another one opens." I do believe that everything works out for the best. I can only do what I can do, trust, then adapt to changes as they occur. Opportunities only come when you are available for them. I am looking forward to what a newly opened schedule will bring! I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always appreciated. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...